Cheek Swab Sample Collection Instructions:
OptiGen does not automatically provide cheek
swab collection kits, however we will send them upon request. Contact OptiGen by email or phone & we
will happy to mail you swab kits for no extra charge. Alternatively, if you would like to order cheek swabs from a commercial source, these are readily available at www.ezswabs.com .
Regardless of how you procure them, all Cheek Swabs used for OptiGen testing MUST:
Test Request Form
Complete the Test Request Form with all the required information on the dog to be tested. If more than one dog is being tested at the same time, complete a form for each dog even if they are from the same litter. Both the owner of the dog and either the person who swabs the dog's cheek or the witness of the swab collection must sign the form affirming a match of the dog with the PERMANENT ID# and the Cheek Swab SAMPLE. You may want to copy the completed form for your records.
Cheek Swab Sample Collection Instructions ***(Cheek Swabs NOT ADVISED for unweaned puppies)***
***Tests not suitable for cheek swabs: CL, CLAD, CSNB, Cystinuria, Narcolepsy, PK, PFK, rcd1-PRA & rcd3-PRAPrior to Collection/Preparations:
How to Collect the Cheek Swab Samples:
1. Use two swabs per dog.
2. Label the swab packets with the dog’s call name, the owner’s last name, permanent identification or registration number (if applicable) and collection date.
3. Label a standard paper (letter size) envelope with the same information as in #2.
4. Open the swab package at the handle end (NOT the collection tip end) and carefully peel the package away to within about an inch of the end. Remove the first swab. Do not touch the collection tip of the swab.
5. Do not allow the tip of the swab to touch anything other than the inside of the dog’s mouth and the inside of the packaging.
6. While holding the handle end of the swab, insert the tip along the inside of the cheek. Rotate the collection tip along the inside of the cheek for about 20 seconds. Pushing on the outside of the dog’s cheek while rotating the swab will firmly press it between the gum and cheek and will enhance cell collection.
7. Hold the swab while it air dries for several seconds. Do NOT blow on the swab.
8. Reinsert the tip of the swab into the closed end of the package and remove the second swab (if there are 2/package). If your swabs came in plastic containers instead of paper sleeves, put the swab directly into the labeled paper envelope; DO NOT use the plastic container.
9. Repeat the above steps on the other cheek with the remaining swab (i.e. 2 swabs/dog).
10. Place the packaged swabs in the labeled paper envelope (NOT a plastic bag). Do NOT put the test request form in the envelope with the swabs.
11. OptiGen requires signatures on the test request form by the owner and by either a witness or the person collecting the sample if other than the owner. Two signatures are required in order to proceed with testing.
12. Send the sample and completed test form following the Ship Sample instructions.
Page last updated December 02, 2015
Copyright 2005 OptiGen · Design and Programming by Spider Graphics Corporation®